Ingredients for dough(Outer layer):
1 cup rice flour (chawal ka aata)
1 cup water
1 tsp ghee
¼ tsp salt
Ingredients for stuffing:
1 cups grated coconut
¾ cup grated jaggery (gur) you can add more if you like more sweet
1 tbsp ghee
½ tsp of cardamom powder
Chopped nuts (optional- Pistachios, cashews,almonds etc)
Method for dough:
Preparation of stuffing:
- In a pan add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil. Add ghee and salt.
- Once the water starts boiling, remove the pan from heat and add rice flour.
- Mix the flour quickly so that no lumps are formed. If required add few tbsp of water. But only few.
- Now cover the pan with lid and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes.
- Take out the mixture/ dough from the pan on a plate or flat surface and knead with your hands till you get soft dough.
- Cover this dough with muslin cloth and keep aside.
- In a pan add ghee, grated coconut and jaggery.
- Mix it well , till jaggery melts completely. And remove immediately once jaggery melts.
- Once the mixture cools down add cardamom powder (elaichi) and chopped nuts. Mix it.
- You can make modak with two methods.
- One with help of modak mould and other without modak mould just like you make momos.
First method using mould:
- Grease your hands and mould nicely with oil from inside.
- Make lemon size balls with dough. Place the dough ball in mould and close the mould.
- Now with your index finger start pressing the dough towards the wall of the mould.
- If you feel the dough inside mould is not enough to cover the walls properly add some more dough.
- Now stuff the filling with spoon in the mould.(around 1 tsp)
- Seal the opening of mould with some more dough. Make sure you seal it properly.
- Now press the mould with your hands for few seconds to bind the modak nicely.
- Now open the mould carefully.
- Seal modak with your hand if you see any opening
Another way if you don�t have moulds:
- make lime size balls of the dough. Roll them into round shape.
- Now add approx 1 tsp of stuffing in center of the rolled dough and
bring the edge near by making pleats with 1 cm of distance between them.
- Bring all the pleats together in center and seal and make a conical shape.
- Prepare all your modaks in same way.
- Prepare your steamer by adding water and heat it till the water comes to a boil.
- Place the modaks on a greased steamer plate and place the tray on steamer.
- Cover it with lid and steam for around 12 to 15 minutes.
- You can check if modaks are done by touching the outer layer It should not be sticky and they will turn translucent.
You can leave a comment here: